Tradewinds

Getariako Txakolina

  • Getariako Txakolina, along Basque coast in northern Spain, relies on a maritime climate to produce wines with a character distinct among spanish whites.
  • The region's young, fruity white wines are known as txakoli. They have a medium alcohol content (9.5º - 11.5º) and a slight, characteristic acidity.
GRAPES AND WINEMAKING
  • Two autochthonous varieties, Hondarrabi Zuri, which makes up 95% of the vines and Hondarrabi Beltza, which represents the remaining 5%, are trained on trellises and arbors to produce the grapes used to make Txakoli de Getaria.
  • The grapes are harvested in early autumn, the result of careful planning to guarantee the exact balance of sugar and acidity, followed by a painstaking production process whereby the grape skins are previously removed, and state-of-the-art pressing and fermentation technologies are used to produce Txakoli de Getaria.
  Featured Vineyards ganeta_logo  
  • Gañeta Txakolina is one of the top producers of Getariako Txakolina. It is a family-owned winery and vineyard in an ideal location of the denomination. From outside the winery, one can observe the breathtaking views of the town Donostia - San Sebastian and relish the spectacular influence the sea has had on this vineyard.
  • Julian Ostolaza runs the vineyard and winery with just his wife, and literally no one else! They are one of the few couples doing so. The tradition of making Txakolina in the province of Getaria has been passed on for generations, and he has been one of the few to retain the traditional techniques of winemaking.
  • Their wine is made from the grape variety Hondarribi Zuri, which is only found in this region of the world. It is fermented in stainless steel and bottled with residual carbonic that gives the wine a characteristic acidity and spritz.